Architecture Schools should be dessolved…
Today I stumbled upon a great poster created by Sam Brown, Alastair Parvin and Tatjana Schneider, that represents a synopsis of arguments of a debate, run by Project Context and hosted by SUAS (Sheffield University Architecture Society) with the subject “Schools of Architecture Should Be Dissolved!” I couldn´t agree more with what its says and I thought would be nice to share it with you. I think all these ideas does not only apply to architectural schools but for all the educative system .
Architecture Schools should be dissolved unless…
… . abandon mono – vocationalism
After the collapse of the construction bubble , architecture schools must prepare their graduates to apply design, thinking with architectural intelligence in sectors beyond just the property / construction sector.
… . promote informed generalism
Invite as much knowledge as possible from other disciplines , such as economics , engineering , agriculture , politics , activism , geography , psychology , sociology , computing … Architecture is an amalgam of all these things.
… . encourage students who want to openly debate what is happening.
Escapism is amoral at best, immoral at worst ..
… . realize that the game has changed.
Graduates must now leave with more than just a portfolio of beautifully drawn imaginary of buildings , designed to take on the interviewer at Architecture firms.
… . change the measures of success.
No more prizes for drawing trout farms on mars . There is more than one way to measure success.
… . take responsibility.
Architecture is not just art . Art is Art . Design expands beyond cultural discourse and is more than a social “engagement”. Architecture is always connected to social justice.
… . .teach an expanded view of architecture and design
“No longer associated only with objects appearances, design is increasingly understood as the human ability to plan and produce desired outcomes”- Bruce Mau
… . let each students shape their own education.
The purpose of education is to find the work that fascinates and fulfills you and help you turn it into your life’s work . Schools ought to enable, respond and even structure its curriculum around student initiatives, and provide on -request tutorials on learning skills such as coding or business planning.
… . no longer assume their graduates will be employees.
From now on, the successful schools will be those whose graduates are just as likely to use their thesis projects to start an enterprise/initiative as they are to use it to seek employment from an existing company. Schools must help them prepare for this.
… . act as incubators for designers , architects and ideas they produce.
Supporting people and projects after they have graduated.
… . become fablabs and drop-in institutions.
Provide intellectual forums and workshop facilities for would-be designers, inventors and activists who wish to attend the school for 7 minutes, 7 hours, 7 weeks, or 7 months – not just those who wish to attend for 7 years.
… . .open theirs students for positive change in their host cities.
Why do those who live next door to architecture schools never set foot inside them ?
… see their role as producing not just each new generation of graduates.
…but also each new generation of ideas.
… . become open clubs ( peer to peer social networks) for their students and alumni.
A school is not really a building; its a network of people . It should open doors for you and your ideas.
… . seek to provide access to role models of all genders , races and backgrounds.
Architecture is still very male , white and middle – class , both in education and in practice . It´s not your fault if you are one (or all) of those things , but imagine all the great designers your´re not meeting and working with because of it. Imagine how much emptier design discourse is because they´re not here.
… . champion drop outs.
Actively encourage and promote those students with the bravery to change their mind. A good architecture school should help students do this,even if it´s bad for the bottom – line. Isn´t that the ultimate purpose of education?
… . nurture open sense of purpose.
“ Architecture is peripheral to the most important social aims. I wish it was less peripheral. That´s why I´m an architect “ -Cedric Price
… . no longer see themselves as schools of architecture ,
but as ____________?
75 Notes/ Hide
- thearchade likes this
- architectts likes this
- lifeandtimesofnas likes this
- blockerzsocube likes this
- sugarbee88blog likes this
- fhotographixta likes this
- nek3 reblogged this from archimess
- nek3 likes this
- left-to-say reblogged this from arzitekt
- binaqwert likes this
- tamara-ist reblogged this from archimess
- qooly647 likes this
- modespirit likes this
- cbmartin likes this
- studio630 reblogged this from archimess
- resedificae reblogged this from archidose
- portraitsinpoetry likes this
- em-arch reblogged this from archimess
- hinterlandscape likes this
- my-procrastination reblogged this from archimess
- my-procrastination likes this
- westerlywind reblogged this from archimess
- westerlywind likes this
- roryjamesbuckingham likes this
- cmdaltderp reblogged this from archimess
- zcfth48 likes this
- etsurha reblogged this from archimess
- digitalsniffer likes this
- bilkid likes this
- dlandrum likes this
- lifeofanarchitecturestudent reblogged this from archimess
- topa-tank reblogged this from archimess
- toddhswanson likes this
- cupcakesxrobots likes this
- blackeyre likes this
- luceromeza likes this
- archstudentmind likes this
- bees-make-honey reblogged this from architecturedesigns
- etonnement reblogged this from archidose
- ferri1334 reblogged this from architecturedesigns
- architecturedesigns reblogged this from archimess and added:
- jai--me likes this
- riboven likes this
- bugsie-t likes this
- 195thdayoftheyear likes this
- sitdownandstay reblogged this from archimess
- seldomtoldstories likes this
- armikarme reblogged this from archimess
- rookieofthecentury likes this